Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Maine Summer Youth Music Camp and others.....

This monologue may rub some of you the wrong way, especially those who deem yourself a tax bracket or two above others simply because you are a teacher of classical music. And that is okay. Read on to understand what I mean.

 I want to vent a minute with regards to this Maine Summer Youth Music Camp(MSYM)held at the University of Maine School of Performing Arts. In particular the Junior Camp held every summer for a week. Click here for more information. 

I was fortunate enough to have been a first violinist in its very first "camp" all the way back in 1972, 50 years ago this July. I was the same age as Thomas is when I attended and we both thought that it would be exciting and very beneficial for him to go to this. I fondly remember attending during the day, eating my lunch outdoors on the grass and just plain having such a wonderful time! Although I was THE youngest one in this orchestra and didn't have a single friend there(because all the others were teens)I still have such wonderful memories because it was just during the day and I was home with my family at night...as I believe 10 year olds should be. 

Anyway, I should have dug deeper before taking any further steps because I found out that it was no longer a day session for 5 days. We live over an hour away and I had to have him there by 8 in the morning and could pick him up at 9 at night. So 8 am to 9 pm for a 10 year old was bad enough until I figured in the driving time, which would have made it from 6:30 am to 10:30 every single day! We decided this was simply not conducive to our goal of keeping Thomas interested and happy with the violin. 

I( reached out to Mr. Chris White, director of this program, in order to see if there was anyway whatsoever we could shorten the days so that Thomas could still attend. It was important to him because his conductor, Sascha Zaburdaeva (see her profile here)

is the principal teacher and conductor of this camp and he really does adore her, as I do because she is really REALLY great with children. After emailing and speaking with Mr. White on a couple of occasions, the earliest he could do was 7 pm, which was still not acceptable. I know many of you would feel fine with this but being a 5th generation violinist myself and being taught by my father as well as other teachers, notably Mrs. Lindz and Mrs. Marian McKenney of Bangor, Maine, I understand what it takes to keep children interested, happy, proud and desirous of continuing with the violin, and to layer on so much time on  a child is NOT the way to do it. Things were different back when I was a child because we didn't have electronics to occupy our spare time, therefore the number of music students were triple what it is now. So we need to adapt. We need to fit in enjoyment in the least amount of time so that interest is not lost. 

Well, this type of sentiment was lost with Mr. White, plus it didn't help that he was not the least bit personable....not even close. It just bolsters the persona that classical musicians, teachers and those involved in such, have a "holier than thou" attitude. Even many of the parents I have come across whose child is a musical peer of Thomases in the orchestra have the same type of aloof personality. (I think that is why I smile when they hear Thomas playing, and at only 2 years of learning, he is an advanced student and he takes joy in knowing his playing is above many of his contemporaries who have been playing for more years.)

Couple this with the fact that his excitement is doubled whenever he is playing fiddlin' music! His grandfather, great grandfather, gr. gr. grandfather and gr. gr. gr. grandfather all played fiddlin' music at various grange halls of old in Maine since the mid-1800s and that only causes more of a "nose pointed up" attitude from other parents of classical child musicians. Besides the BSYO, the Bay Chamber Music Schools Envision Workshop in Rockport, Maine in 2 weeks, fiddlerman.com has given him such joy. He participates not only is discussions in the many forums on this site, but learns a great deal about fiddlin' music, is invited to perform in the myriad of group projects and is helped along by some wonderful members. Even Pierre, fiddlerman himself, is not a stranger when it comes to personally reaching out. A wonderful group and we are lifelong members of this extraordinary site.

It was a shame that I had to pull Thomas from the MSYM camp this year, because those in charge have no clue how to teach. And I am not talking about knowledge, of course they are professionals in their fields. I am talking about changing with the times and understanding how to keep children active and interested in a musical instrument. ....or even caring for that matter. You could be the smartest, most proficient violin teacher in the world, but lack the common sense as to exactly what it takes to make a child happy and want to thrive in this musical atmosphere of today, i.e. classical music. This is not 1970 on back! If the School of Performing Arts, and Mr. White, would have just continued with the day schedule, it would have been more of an incentive for more students to enroll. It was such a pity that Thomas could not have experienced the joy I did...50 years ago.

Now we have the Bay Chamber Music Schools, Envision Program in Rockland. I have enrolled him here and their hours are most appropriate for learning, having fun and keep a child wanting to continue playing. Click here to see more. Josie Davis(see her profile here) has been a peach to talk to. She immediately responds to my emails, answers any and all questions and is superb in making the violin an instrument of pleasure, rather than work. (See an article about her and her sister Sophie here

Sophie and Josie Davis, sisters
 Even though it is still about an hour away, my son can be home for supper, learn from some of the best violinists in Maine, be in the company of his peers and above all, be in the musical care of a lady who obviously is grounded when it comes to children and what is needed to keep them interested in the violin. (I am willing to bet that she has children who mean more to her than sounding classically trained). If not, she should, LOL. 

  Regardless, we are thrilled to be part of this and look forward to many more years of involvement with the Envision program.....maybe even come back when Thomas is a famous violinist "making lots of money on stage"(his words) and perform as a soloist.

My point from all of this? Follow Josie's(and her sisters) way of teaching. Make it enjoyable, fun, exciting and at the same time learn! Don't think this is back a generation when ps4's, cell phones(I threw mine away many years ago and haven't looked back because my moments with Thomas as we are walking downtown, at the park or simply shopping mean more to me than being glued to that darned thing). Don't ever think your child is the best simply because they strictly play classical music. Thomas is advanced because I give him the time for everything else in his life and if he wants to play some downhome fiddlin' double stop reels...have at it. Heck, I might just be slapping my knee while he is doing it! My grandfather, Samuel Bailey, was classically trained at the Boston Conservatory in the 1920s, yet his favorite piece was......Fiddlin' The Fiddle, by Rubinoff. He loved that piece so much that when Rubinoff came to Maine in the 1950s, my grandfather was his guest at the head table when he got up and played Fiddlin' the Fiddle in 12 variations!!! 









No comments: