Monday, April 26, 2021

I Just Don't Know.....

 For the past few months, I have been getting a slew of correspondence emails from IONOS, the platform that theyankeechef.com is on and they are telling me about this virus and that attack on my website, potentially exposing not only my banking information, but the addresses of all those who subscribe. And I do not believe it is going to end soon. In fact, I suspect they will continue to get worse as the months progress because of the ways and means hackers are able to gain access to various platforms. Heck, you see it at least once a day on Facebook alone. 

So what I did today was suspend my website until I make a determination on whether or not it is worth the expense, frustration and constant wondering. So I think for the time being, I am going to add more recipes on this forum, starting with my go-to grilling recipe for this summer.

Yankee Chinese Red Spareribs

     This will be you favorite recipe during this summer when you have an urge to cook some Chinese-style spareribs. Honestly, you will never order out again, they are that good! Althouh the glaze/marinade is thick, it is the perfect consistency not only to marinate the ribs, but to keep as a slathering glaze and for dipping as well.



1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup soy sauce

1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

15 drops(about 1/4 teaspoon)red food coloring

2 tablespoons vinegar(see NOTE)

1/2 teaspoon celery seed, optional

2 pounds boneless, country-style pork spareribs

     In a large bowl, whisk together first 8 ingredients; set aside. Cut spareribs in half from top to bottom, making each half as thick. Place in a shallow container in a single layer and pour bowl of sauce over the top, making sure each rib is fully covered. Refrigerate at least 24 hours and as long as 2 days for an intense flavor.

     After removing the ribs from the marinade, transfer to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat, cover and serve alongside the ribs for dipping.

     Preheat only one half of an outdoor grill on high. Place ribs on the grate that is NOT over the flame. Close top and indirectly cook ribs for about 10 minutes before flipping over to continue cooking until completely done. 

If you want to cook these on the stove top, simply add 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ribs, in a single layer, and cook for about 10 minutes per side, until thoroughly cooked. 


NOTE: Because this is a Yankee recipe, of course I use apple cider vinegar. It imparts a fantastic flavor, but use rice wine vinegar if desired. If you would like, add a 1/4 cup hoisin sauce as well, but it really isn't needed. Honey can also be a great substitution for maple syrup. 


No comments: